Thursday, August 11, 2011

DQS 11: Completed Paintbox Hexie Mini

Completed DQS 11

I finished up sewing the binding down on this little pretty last night.  I really usually do not enjoy hand sewing binding on, but on these little projects, its the perfect thing to do while vegging on the couch, catching up on our Netflix cue.  Instead of using the usual double fold binding I use on regular quilts, I tried a single fold binding, using this tutorial from verykerryberry.  I really like how slim and non bulky the binding is, I think I will cut the binding maybe at 1 1/2" vs. the 1 1/4" I did for this mini, but all in all I like the look!

completed DQS 11 quilt

The finished quilt measures 17" square, and the center square of "paintbox" hexies measures 11" square.  I didn't follow a pattern in making this, but based my bordered hexie idea off of Lee's tutorial for her Hexing around block, only in miniature.  I'm pretty sure my partner digs this, fingers crossed! 

After spending far to long just looking at the quilt top and waiting for it to just tell me how would be best to quilt it, I decided to go simple, with nice clean echo quilting 1/4" on either side of the borders and horizontal seams of the hexagons, and I'm quite happy with my decision.


DQS 11 quilt back

Now just to whip up a few extras to add in to my package, I think a pin cushion and some pin toppers are in order. 

DQS 11 label

Hopefully my partner enjoys!




17 comments:

  1. Wow--this is awesome! I'm going to check out that tutorial. Great fabrics in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, your choice of fabrics makes this sparkle! Your partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! It is adorable. If I was your partner, I would be happy with it! And I really like the quilting on the back. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is really beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so very pretty, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a modern take on what must be one of the most traditional shapes in patchwork! Well done - I love the colours and the way you've put it together!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my - this has turned out SO lovely! Your partner will be thrilled, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very, very nice - great job Jess - wish i was your partner - lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! Can't wait to see who gets it! I know from personal experience that they will be very lucky to have one of your DQS quilts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous, well done. Love the colours and the quilting finishes it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so, so, so, so CUTE - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is so wonderful Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. wow. I love this so much I may actually now have to make some hexagons. (I swore I would never, never, but...there ya go!)

    ReplyDelete